Subject: Re: Madama Butterfly
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Jun 2017 09:05:04 -0400

If it had been made the way films are made today, it would have been
a monumental flop.

Opera Related Alert:  GWTW's score by Max Steiner is an integral part
of the spoken dialogue, which, as delivered by a cast largely trained in a
long forgotten tradition of musically and rhythmically inflected speech, can
impart a distinctly operatic tone to the soundtrack.  There are a number of
films from that era, with scores by Steiner and Korngold in particular, that
convey a similar effect: KINGS ROW,  THE SEA HAWK,  DECEPTION,
NOW VOYAGER, SINCE YOU WENT AWAY, and many others, can be
be enjoyed as sonic treats without even watching them.

dtmk