Subject: Re: Madama Butterfly
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:34:24 -0400

Such complaints are growing louder and more frequent with each passing
year. If this is your first time encountering one of them, I can
practically guarantee it will not be your last.

In the United States, there have numerous complaints in the last several
years about Gilbert & Sullivan's *The Mikado*. In New York, a few years
back, protesters were able to force cancellation of a professional
production. The production was re-scheduled a couple of seasons later with
new sets and costumes and a partially rewritten libretto. In San Francisco,
protesters forced a local semi-pro company to re-set the opera in
Renaissance Italy, with the name character becoming “The Ducato of Milan.”

*The Mikado* is not *Butterfly*, but the ideas animating the protests are
much the same, and as time goes on we are likely to see more.

--
Marc Shepherd
New York, NY