Subject: Re: Madama Butterfly
From: Michael at Ariascribe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 11 Jun 2017 09:11:07 -0700

I think you are all being harsh. I avoid “The Merchant of Venice” because the portrayal of Jews as evil money-lenders is offensive to me. The character Fagin in Charles Dicken’s Oliver is also offensive to me (although I still loved the music in Oliver! the musical).

We are more aware of racism now (presumably) than people were in in 1898, and I think it is more constructive to pay attention to issues of caricature in the arts, and show some sensitivity to those who find it offensive, than to attack the person who raises the issue.

(An asian friend of mine once got very annoyed when someone complimented him by saying “That was very white of you, Ernie”. No one at that dinner party will ever use that expression again.)

Michael Levy