Subject: Met Auditions Concert on Radio
From: Charles Handelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 11 Jun 2017 11:54:42 -0400

Met 2017 Auditions Program

I just sent you the program for the Met auditions, broadcast on Saturday. It
was a beautiful program, with superb young artists. We do not know how they
sound live, but you hear vocal quality, technique, phrasing,etc. Here are
the winners:

 I especially was impressed (as was the rest of the opera world) by
countertenor Aryeh Nussbaum Cohen (I do not think he is Italian) whose voice
is unusually rich and full for a countertenor. He was the most outstanding,
according to articles I have read. I wrote to him and requested a Norma next
yr.(w.Radvanovsky permission.)

Mezzo Samatha Hankey...rich beautiful voice

Vanessa Vasquez  "Old school" Marvelous Butterfly aria. Just gorgeous!

Tenor Richard Smagur. Lovely, if generic voice.

Tenor Kyl Van Schoonhaven.  Amazing Grimes Mad Scene; A bit strained in the
Rienzi aria.

Kirsten MacKinnon  Iolantha and Faust arias..Wonderful.

   But there were "no losers,"  and all will go on to great careers.(Ramey
lost!!!).
Then came three fabulous guest artists:

Shades of Simionato!!! Jamie Barton sang the Adriana aria as magnificently
as I could imagine..and the CHEST VOICE!!!!

Amber Wagner's Ariadne aria was luscious and truly one of the finest voices
around.

Michael Fabiano.(who?) again showed that he is one of the GREAT singers of
today. I have heard the Luisa Miller sung by Tucker, Bergonzi,etc..and this
rendition was an example of how great singing still exists.

All in all, a wonderful concert...and BRAVI to all these future stars!!!!!