Subject: Re: Madama Butterfly
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 11 Jun 2017 07:27:13 -0400

Opera is art and as such requires a large dose of suspended animation.  As
we settle into our seats, we also settle into a mind-set that (hopefully)
allows us to eliminate the outside world and focus on the inner.  To the
extent any single member of the audience cannot do that, to the extent her
or she insist on seeing the performance through a non-deniable personal
agenda set firm before the curtain rises, to the extent he or she cannot
assess the performance as a shared yet stand-alone event in a darken
theater, is more an indictment of that person than the culture that exists
outside the theater.

Yes, opera can do better to reflect that reality but the fact that a white
woman in the audience who dared 'cultural appropriation' to see an Italian
opera set in Japan so offended this person that she went on a a public
diatribe spoke more about her prejudices than about the situation.

Casting decisions are made based on available talent.  Otello has been
played a handful of times by a dark-skinned tenor but the reality is that
the talent pool available for the role will dictate that the character will
be played with a lighter-skinned tenor made up with various shades of dark
make-up.   Other operas have a host of characters from seemingly exotic
locations around the world and yet we don't stop production because the cast
lacks authenticity.

The fact that only by following Guilino's rather dictatorial demands 'we'
could begin to heal allows her to posture that her preposterous proposition
would set some undefined group of people free.  The fact that this
individual feels affront that the majority of people in theater enjoyed the
performance (by the way, what has she to say about the actual singing and
acting, or was she so deep in her own gloom that she denied the performers
her attention?)  doesn't give her the right to speak for 'us'.

I am usually on the side of the underdog but in her excesses Gulino
undermined her basic thesis that opera needs to do better in employing
minority singers.  Yes, they should.  But, no, they should not cast operas
solely on skin tone or nationality over talent.