Subject: Re: question about coloratura singing - other than sopranos
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Jun 2017 20:31:08 -0400

Getting to this post late (as with most things these days).

One of the most beautiful, difficult examples of non-soprano coloratura works I know is
Handel's rarely performed solo cantata for tenor, "The Praise of Harmony" consisting of only
a recitative ("Look Down Harmonious Saint") and a long, da capo aria ("Sweet Accents All
Your Numbers Grace").  I "discovered" this work when studying the complete Handel
editions in college and found only two recordings.

The one I've attached here is by John Mark Ainsley with The Kings Consort conducted by
Robert King.  While Ainsley's sweet, English tenor may not be to all likings, one must
admire the fleetness of voice, ability to ornament and near flawless coloratura.  The breath
control required for this is made more difficult still by not having just standard scale work,
but arpeggiated that go on, in one passage, for pages.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75ixgEzP9c&feature=youtu.be

p.