Subject: Re: oft-misquoted titles (4)
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Jun 2017 18:06:44 -0400

And the late Margaret Juntwait used to abuse her Italian R's at times - a single R is only
flipped, not rolled (unless you're singing that Cenerentola sextet, lol) - but Juntwait would
always say "Trovatorrrre," for instance.

I also remember that Joe Volpe, in radio interviews, always mumbled the name of his
company as "The Metropolopera." Which I assume has no relation to the current company
logo, which seems to refer to the "ropolitan." ;-)

And I'm still not sure that Will Berger is really right about "reSITative" - but he always says
it..."ress(i)-ta-TEEV" is what I think of as being the standard English pronunciation - and
it's a cognate of the Italian "re-chi-ta-TEE-vo."

(I have also heard many a singer ruefully refer to it as "Wretched-ta-teev"...)

On Sun, 4 Jun 2017 18:06:06 +0000, Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Finally, my biggest pet peeve, anybody who says "La sonnambyewla."  I heard Mary Jo
Heath use this pronunciation on at least two different occasions, but then suddenly she
started saying it correctly, so I guess somebody did get to her.  I hear this
mispronunciation so frequently, from a variety of sources, that when I hear it said
correctly, it stands out like a sore thumb,