Subject: ROBERT MERRILL TRIBUTE
From: Rudi Van den Bulck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Jun 2017 21:56:22 +0200

Two days ago Robert Merrill was born exactly a century ago as Moishe Miller
in Wlilliamsburg, Brooklyn. His centenary went by unnoticed. We pay tribute
to him on the homepage of our website with links and a videclip made up of
some very rare recordings. These include duets with Jeanette McDonald, Rise
Stevens and Nina Koshetz, an almost chassidic version of Jonah and the whale
and much more. All recordings stem from his very prime and are illustrated
with several photos of the Charles Mintzer collection.
It may have been discussed before but for this listener (heard all of them
only through recordings) Robert Merrill was the greatest baritone voice
America ever produced. Leonard Warren may have been the greater artist but
his recordings don't display to my ears the impact he must have made in the
theatre. Tibbett drunk himself to pieces but is a serious competitor as are
Richard Bonelli, John Charles Thomas and yes Thomas Hampson (as a Lieder
singer). The most famous was of course Nelson Edy but the bvoice didn't
belong in the same category as the one smentioned here. Robert Merrill's
greatest achievement operatically was his portrayal as Michele in Tabarro
and his Sacred Service (Bloch) under Bernstein is still unequalled.
For those interested please visit www.operanostalgia.be

RvdB