Subject: Re: oft-misquoted titles (4)
From: Sheila Pinsker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Jun 2017 02:52:20 -0400

> On Jun 4, 2017, at 9:38 AM, Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I once heard someone refer to "The Noses of Figaro," perhaps conflating it with Shostakovich.

The French title is “Les Noces de Figaro” so is not that far off.
“Marriage” in French usage refers to Beaumarchais. not Da Ponte/Mozart.

Then there was a WQXR announcer who got hopelessly tangled up introducing
the Bartered Bride. Somehow or other, “battered”, “buttered” and “broad” all
got mixed up in various combinations.

Milton Cross once introduced the A&P Gypsies as the A&G Pipsies.

Any other old-timers remember Jane Ace?
Bob P