Subject: Re: America's Opera Problem?"/ a/k/a "There is no life without Lutetia wall."
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Jun 2017 22:35:51 +0000

 Thank you, Frank. I do, when life circumstances permit ( I had to cancel my April trip) spend time in France, where several family members live. I know how much musical/operatic life there is not only in Paris but other major cities as well.

There are many things wrong with American life at present but  I do think there is much more going on here than you could possibly realize from afar.
Almost all the operas I see I see as a professional reviewer, a job description some around here tend to revile. I therefore only rarely post reviews here.  I can be found in most issues of OPERA NEWS, OPERA, OPÉRA MAGAZINE, OPERNWELT and CLASSICAL MUSIC NORTH AMERICA and GAY CITY NEWS- this last has no paywall online.
I have no luck as posting urls here, but my GCN columns can easily be found under the "Music and Dance" rubric at the paper's website. Mainly Met shows- HOLLAENDER, ROSENKAVALIER, AIDA, WERTHER w/Borras, FIDELIO-- but also some recitals including Schwanewilms ( excellent) and Juilliard's AGRIPPINA.
Cheers - David