Subject: Met Freischutz (was Re: Question re Nilsson as Senta at the Met)
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Jun 2017 17:12:18 -0400

Michael Lane wrote:

"Also lost was the original cast for Der Freichutz, a Bing favorite, which originally was
meant to have Janowitz, Gedda, Berry and Bohm conducting."

That is fascinating; I never knew that.  I wonder if the opera would have had more success
with that lineup than it did in 1972.  (Not that Lorengar and Konya were chopped liver, but
Ludwig's conducting was weak and the opera really needs a strong conductor to come off.)

I love the music of Freischutz, but I have always felt that there is something about the opera
that just doesn't travel well or "connect" outside of Germany.  Any thoughts on this?

MDW