Subject: Re: America's Opera Problem?"/ a/k/a "There is no life without Lutetia wall."
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Jun 2017 22:06:11 +0200

David, I have to agree that your summer list is impressive and suggests that there is a vitality to opera in America, particularly strong with the rare (I have always liked the Moniuszko). So we do not have to continue (whew!). I hope we can hear some reports from these venues on Opera-l.  Frank

> Message du 05/06/17 21:42
> De : "David Shengold"
> A : "Frank Cadenhead" , "[log in to unmask]"
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: America's Opera Problem?"/ a/k/a "There is no life without Lutetia wall."

Your snobbery and obtuseness are absurd.

Trinity Church is not just 'a church' but a major edifice with a world-class music program using professional musicians. We are not talking about someone playing the Four Seasons and Mozart Adagios in Parisian parish churches.

One doesn't need frequent flier miles to get to Boston from NYC, there are trains and very inexpensive, comfortable buses w/WiFi and bathrooms.

Different cities have different opera seasons for a variety of reasons.

Opera-loving New Yorkers do not need frequent flyer miles to get to staged opera in June or July or even August: there is NYCO (ANGELS), Onsite Opera (Milhaud's LA MERE COUPABLE), the Princeton (FIDELIO) , Bard (DIMITRIJ), Glimmerglass (PORGY, SERSE, L'ASSEDIO DI CALAIS), and Caramoor (IL PIRATA) festivals ( also Phoenicia, presenting John Osborn's role debut in BOHEME this Summer, with Mireille Asselin and Lucas Meacham, plus a world premiere version of LES TROIS MOUSQUETAIRES) and usually some performances at Mostly Mozart (semi-staged DON GIOVANNI this time) beside concert readings at the Philharmonic and Tanglewood ( both doing RHEINGOLD this year) and Bard (Moniuszko's HALKA). To start...