Subject: Re: America's Opera Problem?
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Jun 2017 15:12:24 -0400

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 14:53:04 +0000, David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Looking at my calendar I realized I left something out of my account of the
emptiness Frank diagnoses (from afar) in the American opera scene right now.

>Besides RHEINGOLD and Campra's LE CARNIVAL DE VENISE, this week I also
hear NYCO's NYC premiere (lest you pounce, there have already been several US
iterations, Frank!) of Eotvos' ANGELS IN AMERICA with a promising cast staged by
Sam Helfrich.

>Bonne semaine a tous!
>-David

Hello David and thanks for the information. I saw the first performance of Angels
at Chatelet (the theater commissioning the work) in 2004. It was one of the
important plays of recent memory and the opera was widely produced. It is good
news that New York (where the story is located) is finally able to hear this work.
My earlier post was just noting opera events in the immediate Paris area (not
including even Versailles) and only major, professional productions. I see that the
first two operas you mentioned earlier were not in New York but in South Carolina
but I can also note that Francesconi's "Trompe-la-Mort" was given its world
premiere in March as part of the regular season at the Paris Opera.
I would not list the many semi- or non-professional events scattered in churches
throughout Paris every day. You Alioti work is not an opera, was not staged and
was in one of the many churches in New York and the Donizetti was in a 250 seat
theater. The Campra work was staged with a nice cast but up in Boston? Many
opera fans here have not your reserve of frequent-flyer miles. (Although many
opera companies in France are finished before June, there is still an important June
list if you are interested, some 29 operas).
Best, Frank