Subject: Re: Question re Nilsson as Senta at the Met
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Jun 2017 12:56:12 -0400

Rysanek cited Nilsson as the reason she did not sing Turandot. She said Nilsson asked her, "Why don't you sing Turandot," and Rysanek answered, "Because of you." She said that in that way, Nilsson saved her from some of the most taxing roles, and helped save her voice.

In her autobiography, Nilsson said Senta was never one of her favorite roles. "It has always been difficult for me to portray a fanatical daydreamer; I prefer to be very active onstage." She also indicated that the role was not a comfortable one for her voice.