Subject: Re: oft-misquoted titles (4)
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Jun 2017 18:06:06 +0000

Heard on the radio over the years:
In the summer of 1976 an announcer on KUT, the University of Texas at Austin's radio station, said "...conducted by André Kostelansky."  (The announcer was a friend of mine so I, uh, mentioned that to him later...)
Maybe 25 years ago on what was then known as KUHF, the University of Houston's radio station, the middle-of-the-night announcer (mercifully because less people would have heard him at that hour) said "And that was from Kurt Weill's 'Rise and Fall of the City of Mahogany.'"  Probably a Diana Ross fan...
Also on KUHF, in conjunction with HGO's presentation of the world premiere of Daniel Catán's Florencia en el amazonas," an announcer insisted on pronouncing "en" as it would be said in French, something like "Florencia ahn el amazonas," which I got to hear him say over and over again for a period of several weeks.  And then when HGO brought the opera back in 2001, damned if that same announcer didn't come back and repeat this same exercise for another few weeks.  Masochist that I am, I listened every time to see if maybe somebody had gotten to him with the correct pronunciation.

Finally, my biggest pet peeve, anybody who says "La sonnambyewla."  I heard Mary Jo Heath use this pronunciation on at least two different occasions, but then suddenly she started saying it correctly, so I guess somebody did get to her.  I hear this mispronunciation so frequently, from a variety of sources, that when I hear it said correctly, it stands out like a sore thumb, similar to the way so many people nowadays say "I" instead of "me" in expressions like "between you and I," that the correct "between you and me" now sounds wrong to me, even though it is actually right.

Mike Leone
[log in to unmask] il Leone!