Subject: Re: oft-misquoted titles (4)
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Jun 2017 13:29:02 -0400

What's interesting is that the 5 of them don't quite seem to agree on the vowel. ;-)

And, of course, the way that Luciano himself pronounced his own surname is more
important than 5 people who probably never knew him. ;-) (I started looking for an
interview on Youtube where he says his own name, but I really don't have the time for that
search right now lol.)

In any case, it's properly more of a form of "o" sound than it would ever be an open "ah" -
I think we can all agree with that. But I think many Americans casually tend to pronounce
the 3 vowels in his name fairly similarly, or even identically, along with a casual unvoiced t
(instead of the delicious Italian double consonant) - the result sounding something like
"Pa-va-ra-dy."

So, I tend to think that my high school Humanities teacher might have been aware that
the name had an "o" in it somewhere - so he somehow wound up with "Pavoratti" because
a lot of people erroneously think the accented syllable is more of an "ah."

That was my real point, and I'm sticking to it. ;-)