Subject: Re: oft-misquoted titles (4)
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Jun 2017 12:38:19 -0400

Michael - with all due respect, I'd like to see your documentation on this. I believe you are
completely wrong.

The official title of the song is "Theme from _New York, New York_", having been written
for the film with that title directed by Scorsese. As far as I know, the song has never been
officially referred to by its first lyric. Maybe unofficially by an occasional party of drunk
karaoke-ers, lol. But even then, I doubt that. ;-)

Kander and Ebb, in their book "Colored Lights," refer to the song as "the title song" (of the
film) and as being called "New York, New York" (Ebb even qualifies that the real title
includes the words "[The]Theme From..."). They do say they were challenged by Comden,
Green, and Bernstein about the title, but they ultimately wrote the song with that title
anyway. Kander refers to a piece written by Corigliano for Bernstein's 75th birthday "in
which the two songs chase each other."

The published sheet music and the soundtrack references on IMDB use only the title
"Theme from _New York, New York_" - and I assume that the rolling credits at the end of
the film do the same.

Titles, as I understand, cannot be copyrighted - and there are plenty of examples of
multiple songs with the same title. And there are two famous "New York, New York"s, and
no hit song with the title "Start Spreading The News."

On Sun, 4 Jun 2017 10:56:16 -0400, Michael McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>It’s not opera but the song “New York, New York” sung by Sinatra and Minnelli is
not the title of the song. The real title is “Start spreading the news …” New York,
New York is the song from “On The Town.”