Subject: Re: oft-misquoted titles (4)
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Jun 2017 22:23:46 -0400

I also wouldn't doubt that some people think it's actually "The Nutcracker Sweet," given
the confectionary theme in the dream sequence. I think it's also not uncommon to hear
mention of "The Rites Of Spring" and "The Mid-Afternoon Of A Faun."

One thing I find that English speakers often ignore is the round Italian "o" sound - for
instance, the first word in "Don Giovanni" sounding like the English name Don instead of
more of a close rhyme with "Joan." Back when I was in high school, when Pavarotti was in
his heyday, we had this wonderful Humanities class taught by two fantastic and uber-
knowledgeable teachers. The fine and performing arts were often part of the subject of any
given class. But, I still remember the day one of the teachers wrote the name "Pavoratti"
(sic) on the board. Though everyone in the class knew I was a huge opera nerd, lol, I did
not correct it.

But of course, the way he spelled it is the way it's commonly said. It's not "PavarOHtti" as
it should be, but "PavaRAHdy." But - we anglicise foreign names all the time - and other
cultures do it to us too. ;-)

On Sun, 4 Jun 2017 00:48:38 +0000, David Shengold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My grandmother, whose first opera it was ( starring Emma Eames) was of a generation
to refer to 'LA TOSCA", familiar as such from the Sardou play as toured by Sarah
Bernhardt, Fanny Davenport and others.

>A balletic example would be people saying they went to see" THE NUTCRACKER SUITE".
>I had a feather-headed acquaintance  in grad school tell many of us how excited he was
at the prospect of Versace's designs for Kiri te Kanawa in "CARPACCIO".