Subject: Re: oft-misquoted titles
From: Roger Brunyate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Jun 2017 22:20:03 -0400

I wouldn't be concerned bout the Belasco/Puccini example, or indeed any title that is no
longer in the original language. After all, distributors of novels and films have been changing
titles to suit the local market since the very beginning.

As a European come to live in America, it has taken me a long time to come to terms with
the fact that once a foreign word enters the vernacular, all bets are off. But I still can't bring
myself to order "a panini."

All the same, I'm grateful to this thread. Not only had I put an article before "Winterreise" in
a course syllabus I am about to send out, I had put the wrong one! "Der" instead of "Die." I
guess I was going by association rather than grammar; "Reise" may be feminine, but I think
of it as such a masculine cycle. Oops!