Subject: Re: oft-misquoted titles
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Jun 2017 21:59:14 -0400

Mostly it's not. Mostly it's "Les Miz." KInda like the way we say "Cav and Pag."

Mispronunciations, just like grammatical errors (like the wrong article in German), happen
because they're foreign languages, and most of us don't have that specific a command of
the languages other than our own.

But what about those of us so ready to criticise - how about going *beyond* the titles?

It's wonderful if one knows that, for instance, it's "Des Knaben Wunderhorn" - but really,
what does it matter if one doesn't know the text being sung (and its translation) in the
actual piece? Most of us know foreign opera/concert texts by the sound of syllables, not by
a real command of the language. So yeah, knowing the titles are great, but what about the
rest of it? ;-)

That said - a few pet peeves of my own - what's the title of Bizet's most famous opera?
Most of us wind up saying CARm'n - but that ain't right. (There should be no stress on
either syllable, and there should be a vowel in the 2nd syllable, rather than a schwa.)

But then there's that popular choral piece that everyone calls carMIna buRAna - but it's
not. The first word should be CARmina. But who says that?

Belasco wrote a play called "The Girl of The Golden West." Puccini's opera title took out the
"Golden." So why does it get put back in all the time? Perhaps "The Girl Of The West"
doesn't have the same allure, but the common translation - the reverting back to the
Belasco title - is nevertheless wrong.

And going back to where this thread started - not only did Handel not write "The Messiah,"
he also didn't write "The Halleluiah Chorus." (He just wrote a choral movement called
"Halleluiah.") Much like Beethoven not writing anything he called the "Emperor" concerto,
etc. But just like language in general, titles sometimes do get reinvented over time, or
mistakes become standard - and things just stick.

I say covfefe to it all. ;-)

On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 18:15:34 -0400, Gabriel Stelian <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>How about mispronunciations? Among my pet peeves, in DasRheingold alone announcers
call Mime MimAH, Loge LogAH - and if René
>Pape would sing Wotan, he would be PapAH. Why can people be miserable, but when
they go to the musical it is Les MiserAB?