Subject: Re: ROH Don Carlo review
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Jun 2017 18:19:24 -0700

> On Jun 3, 2017, at 11:56 AM, Geoffrey Riggs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

> (G.R.) I'm very concerned about Stoyanova, whom I find the most deeply moving artist before
> the public today. This Don Carlo cancellation comes out of nowhere for me. Do you know
> something in addition to the "health" reasons, and is there a reason for the quotes?
>
> I heard two of the Met Aidas, and I found her not only the finest principal on stage both times,
> but the most spellbinding Aida in decades. It would be tragic if something has happened to
> place her out of action for the spring/summer.
>
> Geoffrey Riggs

The quotes were because that was the only info provided by the ROH and it’s a fairly broad and generic reason for cancellation.  It could be her health, the health of a family member or a generic public reason agreed with the opera company. If Stoyanova has a health issue, it could be long term and chronic since this was also the reason for her 2015 San Francisco “Ballo” run cancellation and same for her 2016 San Francisco “Don Carlo” run.

Of the multiple times I've bought tickets to see her, I’ve only actually seen her once, at the ROH, as Tatyana. She was wonderful, even if she was relieved of a reasonable amount of the acting challenge by the doubled dancer in the role. Vocally, her Letter Scene was stunningly good.

Max Paley