Subject: Met Orch May 21-CARNEGIE HALL
From: spp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Jun 2017 10:32:47 -0400

Last night, the Met Orchestra, under the baton of Esa-Pekka Salonen, offered
selections from Mahler's Des Knaben Wunderhorn and the symphony 1.  This
performance had Susan Graham and Matthew Polenzani pretty much alternating
the songs. But some of the songs seemed to be meant as duets-one verse for
"he" and the next verse for "she" for example.  In this performance, each
singer sang both male and female verses.  I'm wondering if this approach is
often done. I know that many different voice types sing these songs, so I
assume they do get transposed depending on who is singing.  Graham sounded
wonderful and she did engage the audience.  Polenzani needed time to warm up
and he did make many beautiful musical effects, but I thought he sounded
overwhelmed by the orchestra and did not seem very engaged.

     The orchestra and conductor offered a magnificent performance of the
first symphony.  Every section of the orchestra played with incredible
colors and shadings.  The brass outdid themselves.  They really are one of
the great orchestras playing today-in or out of the opera house!  Salonen
offered a very dramatic and beautiful reading of the score.  It was a very
special evening at Carnegie Hall.

SPW

---