Subject: oft-misquoted titles
From: Mark Bartelt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Jun 2017 09:58:30 -0700

OK, I admit that I'm "putting on my pedant hat" here,
but one thing that I've wondered about for quite some
time is why various works are often referred to by a
title which includes a "The" at the beginning, which
isn't really part of the title.

For example, somebody might say "we're going to hear
The Messiah this weekend".  Um, no; well, unless the
Second Coming has been scheduled for then.  The name
of Handel's work is "Messiah".

And turning to things operatic, there are numerous
times when I've seen a reference to "I Pagliacci";
even by opera houses on occasion.  Nope; the title
is just "Pagliacci".

Seen less frequently, but occasionally, is a "Die"
in front of "Götterdämmerung".  I'd have expected
this mistake to be less common in Germany, but it
happens even there; for example the following page
for a broadcast this Sunday:

 https://www.br-klassik.de/programm/radio/ausstrahlung-1048648.html

Which leads to my questions:  First, why is it the
case that people who are often so compulsive about
trying hard not to mis-speak about other things can
misremember the correct titles of famous works?

Secondly, are there any other compositions (opera or
other) whose titles frequently get misremembered in
this way?  (Either a superfluous "The" where there's
not supposed to be one, or a missing "The" where one
should be present, or similar.)

OK, I'll take my pedant hat back off now (for a while,
at least ;-) ...