Subject: Re: Are Americans losing their interest in Opera?
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Jun 2017 09:15:28 -0400

When Rudolf Giuliani was mayor of New York, he loved to go to the opera,
and perhaps still does, but I don't recall his inviting any of the singers
to City Hall.  I think La Guardia liked opera too, but when a newspaper
strike deprived
readers of Dick Tracy, he read them the daily comic strips on his city owned
radio station.  President Roosevelt introduced one of his favorite singers
the King and Queen of England saying: "your Majesties, this is Kate Smith,
this America".  That same couple's reigning daughter, when invited to a new
production of NOZZE DI FIGARO asked, "haven't we heard that already?"  The
illustrious names you list after Reagan's name seem not to have modified
those "other faults" of his that you are so unable to forget.

dtmk