Subject: Re: Are Americans losing their interest in Opera?
From: Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Jun 2017 07:02:57 -0400

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 22:20:09 -0400, Jim Burdett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>US Presidents used to have opera singers perform at events n the White House or on the
Capitol grounds.  I do not recall anything operatic in the last several administrations.  I
thought perhaps a Democratic administration  would  have some opera events but nothing to
my recollection under Obama.  Not from the blue blood GW Bush either.  I did a search on
Obama Opera and all I got was Oprah.

I found this list, "Classical Music and Musicians at the White House, By Presidential
Administration" at the WFMT website. It just confirms what Mr. Burdett wrote. It looks like
you have to go back to Clinton, who had Denyce Graves. Reagan, for all his other faults, had
Beverly Sills, Frederica von Stade, Anna Moffo, Montserrat Caballe, Grace Bumbry, Jessye
Norman, and Marilyn Horne, just limiting it to opera singers.

https://tinyurl.com/y8saf3n8