Subject: Re: America's Opera Problem?
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Jun 2017 04:24:51 -0400

On Thu, 1 Jun 2017 20:54:25 +0000, David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>Perhaps, Frank, it's that people are discouraged to go to the opera here, knowing
(from your postings here) that everything significant is happening elsewhere.
>Just a thought.
>-DLS

Yes, David, you can be proud of and celebrate your new leader and his active
suppression of anything factual and cultural. Congratulations! Meanwhile, in the
decadent confines of France, there will be the first staged performance in Europe
jn 150 years of Halévy’s "La Reine de Chypre" at the TCE on the 7th and Saint-
Saëns’ "Le Timbre d’ Argent" staged at the Comique (9-19 June). Concert
performances of Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne’s "Phèdre" (1786) will be at the Bouffes du
Nord from the 8th to 11th. (Love this theater's "distressed" look. It was seen in the
movie Aria.) Over at the Paris Opera it is the usual stuff, Onegin, Rigoletto,
Cenerentola, Carmen. (The story here is about Netrebko bailing on her last Onegin
on the 31st so she could appear at the opening of the tiny concert hall on Gergiev's
property outside Moscow and her astounding replacement, Elena Stikhina, who
many thought outshone Nebs. You heard it here first.)
I see you have a rich opera program at the Met this month which will give you
some consolation.
Best regards, Frank