Subject: Re: Dystopian/Ecological opera
From: Roger Brunyate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Jun 2017 07:26:25 -0400

Thank you, Jay, Ralph, Mark, Idia, and DK. I realize now that I should have taken
"dystopian" out of my header, since although the destruction of the natural world is one
way of reaching dystopia, I am still looking for pieces that are about that destruction
rather than merely set in its aftermath.

I remember ANIARA being performed at Covent Garden, but didn't see it. I know and
admire DOG DAYS, but it is dystopian rather than ecological, isn't it? I have enjoyed what
I have sampled of Poul Ruders, but can't find THE HANDMAID'S TALE. And I am glad to
know about ELYSIUM and especially THE GIVER.

I had forgotten the marvelous Girard PARSIFAL, which of course is an ideal example of a
standard opera reset in a dystopian world. And I had not heard of CO2 at all, but am
fascinated by what I have seen; I shall have to see if I can get the whole thing anywhere.
Thank you for that.

I also recall the Bordeaux production of LES INDES GALANTES which, although the opera
itself antedates our current ecologial concerns, certainly treats the subject in a comic yet
scarily accurate way.

Finally, thanks for the tip on SOYLENT GREEN. You are right -- it doesn't quite fit -- but
the use of the Pastoral Symphony as ironic comment could certainly be a useful reference
in another part of my course.

Any more suggestions, of opera OR concert music, where nature itself plays a leading
role?

Thanks, all! Roger.