Subject: Re: America's Opera Problem?
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Jun 2017 15:05:42 -0400

On Thu, 1 Jun 2017 14:39:23 -0400, Frank Cadenhead
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>An article in the Christian Science Monitor talks about a national slump in opera
>popularity in America. There's no evidence of a similar trend in Europe.  Is this
>part of a larger problem?
>http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/2017/0531/As-curtain-falls-on-the-Met-
s-
>50th-anniversary-season-at-Lincoln-Center-what-s-next-for-opera-in-America
>
>Frank Cadenhead

May I urgently critique my own post?  This article only vaguely reports on efforts
by smaller companies to innovate and doesn't talk about even the "bigs" who now
use alternative spaces for their more experimental works.  There is probably more
new opera done in American now than ever before. Can anyone quantify that,
because it is just my impression?

Frank Cadenhead