Subject: Los Angeles doesn't have an Opera Problem
From: Kathy Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 7 Jun 2017 21:18:56 -0400

As home to LA Opera, Long Beach Opera, Pacific Opera Project, The Industry - as well as
home to the LA Philharmonic which is staging multiple operas this season, Los Angeles
has no shortage of opera or opera goers - see the link to History of Opera in Los Angeles
 https://www.kcet.org/shows/artbound/a-history-of-opera-in-los-angeles.

KCET is a local and public TV station that is streaming an experimental opera and will
show it live shortly:
VIREO: The Spiritual Biography of a Witch's Accuser
   An Opera by Lisa Bielawa
https://www.kcet.org/shows/artbound/projects/vireo

  While we hear much about the experiments going on in New York, the above listed
companies are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to small opera companies doing main
stream and experimental work here in LA and its surrounds.  Not to mention, choral
groups and chamber groups presenting opera.  And a lively subculture of Zarzuela.

Audiences are indeed changing.  Subscriptions may be declining as we leave the "see and
be seen era" but attendance is growing, especially at the newer and more experimental
activities.  Younger folks are interested in more modern type music and the modern
music scene here is thriving.  And philanthropists are very generous - angelic perhaps -
in keeping our cultural scene alive.

Nope - no opera problem here.  And I rather suspect, even if the rug gets pulled out from
under the NEA, LA will still be doing fine.  We'll all just have to dig deeper.