Subject: Re: Huge voices (theme for a thread going on)
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 May 2017 11:25:59 -0700

The biggest voices I heard live were Crespin, Jones, Rysanek (on top) and Varnay. Today, Malin Bystrom is heading that direction. Verrett's voice was well projected but not nearly as big as Cossotto or Obraztsova.

Among baritones, one of the biggest voices was MacNeil. I've heard from friends that Hotter's voice was huge.

Among voices that don't seem so big but which have a consistently bright timbre that always carries over everything else are Radvanovsky and Bryan Hymel. Somewhat true of Leiferkus.

Leontyne Price's voice seemed to get much bigger (though somewhat coarser) in the last decade of her career (late 70s - mid 80s).

Vickers and Nilsson didn't have "fat" voices but they penetrated into every corner.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad