Subject: question about coloratura singing - other than sopranos
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 May 2017 04:41:57 +0000

Do a search for Pol Plancon singing the Air du Tambour-Major from Ambroise Thomas'  LE CAID.
Also, for  "Sibilar gli angui d'Aletto" from RINALDO, try Youtube for Samuel Ramey ( yes, I was *there* when he blew the roof off the Met in his debut with this) or Gerald Finley. Denis Sedov made an excellent studio recording of it as well- the live one on Youtube is not in the same league.
And, in re what was said about how many singers of older generations were expected to have some agility, I've always been impressed by how the greatest Wotan of the 20th century ( Friedrich Schorr) got around  "Et in Spiritum Sanctum Dominum" from Bach's Mass in B Minor. Not what we'd hear today in this music but pretty remarkable.
Talking about "Bel sogno beato', let's not forget the remarkable Mattia Battistini.
In introducing people to Handelian coloratura in lectures, I sometimes play the incredibly fluent "Vorrei vendicarmi' by Kathleen Kuhlmann-- the EMI ALCINA recording with Auger under Richard Hickox.

As to the rising generation, check out Philippe Sly in live accounts of "The trumpet shall sound" and "Why do the Nations" from MESSIAH with Julian Wachner conducting, in 2016.

Cheers - David