Subject: Re: News about ROH "Don Carlo" May 29 matinee
From: David Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 31 May 2017 23:59:29 +0200

I remember hearing it at the time, I wasn't anywhere near New York, and
I was still a teenager, but an opera fanatic, and it was well publized.
It was supposed to have been Tebaldi's first Aida in New York, and the
house was sold out for what everyone was expecting to be a sensation.
Tebaldi cancelled, and Bing knew he couldn't offer the audience a
performance with one of the reguloat Aidas. Milanov was still a great
Aida, but hardly a sensation as she still sang it eregularly. So Bing
decided to change the opera so that Milanov could sing her first Tosca
in Ne York. An equal sensation, and Milanov had  great success.

Many years later I expiended something not dissimular in Munich. This
was 1970 and Nilsson was to sing three performances, starting with
Elektra, her first appearance in the fairly new production by Guenther
Rennert. The day before the Elektra she cancelled all three performances
because her father had passed away and she had to return to Sweden. The
Elektra was changed to Salome, who was to be Colette Lorant who was the
regular Salome in Munich.  Since they had higher prices for Nilsson's
performances the prices were back to normal and it was in the newspaper
that one could either give the tickets back, or have them refund the
difference. Since Varnay was to have been Klytemnestra, she obviously
would be Herodias, so I said to my friend, we might as well go. I got
the difference paid back, there were masses of people at the boxoffice
giving their tickets back. When we got to the theater in the evening
there was one of those dreaded cast change notices up: it read "Salome:
Leonie Rysanek." The theater had spent the day getting hold of her to
offer the audience a similar spectacular perfrmance, as the
Tebaldi/Miklanov case in New York. Rysanek had sung Salome several times
in Munich during the festival season in the summer, but it was her first
performance of it in the regular season, and the house was half empty!