Subject: Re: News about ROH "Don Carlo" May 29 matinee
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 31 May 2017 19:25:40 +0000

From what I read it seems that in one season Tebaldi had to cancel an Aida. Bing, it seems, called Milanov  and asked her to perform that night. Milanov asked who was supposed to be the Aida. When Bing told Zinka it was Tebaldi, Milanov told Bing she was not a cover soprano. Bing, I suppose suspecting Zinka's reaction, offered to change the opera that night so she could perform her first Tosca at the Met, which pleased Zinka and most of the audience. Zinka was a Diva-LOL! I think, and hope, I remembered that story correctly.

________________________________
From: Discussion of opera and related issues <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OPERA-L] News about ROH "Don Carlo" May 29 matinee

You make a good point which more than illustrates how times have changed.  Think about it:  the year that Maria Callas returned to the Met for those two last Toscas in March, 1965.  He she chickened out and cancelled, there was Price, Milanov (though near the end), Tebaldi, Crespin, Nilsson, Rysanek, Kirsten, and probably still others I can't even think of offhand.  It worked the same way with the tenors, what with Tucker, Corelli, Bergonzi, Fernandi, and again others I can't put into focus.
     Very simply, those kinds of powerhouse voices are simply no longer in such abundance.  They've become a downright rarity, if not an anachronism altogether.
                                                 Les/Chicago

[https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/c0.7.200.200/p200x200/1513171_10152077311791630_1299212939526826837_n.jpg?oh=a9690bdb5d4da0ab394476edc9bce728&oe=599D7F42]<http://www.facebook.com/groups/25703098721/>

www.facebook.com