Subject: News about ROH "Don Carlo" May 29 matinee
From: Pattie Kealy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 31 May 2017 03:57:40 -0400

We just got back to Vancouver from a long trip, which ended with five days in London. Saw
"Don Carlo" on May 26 and "Elisir" on May 27 -- very pleased with both. We spent our last
morning on May 30th strolling around Covent Garden and, as the doors to the ROH were
open, we stepped into the foyer and started chatting with a staff member there. I was
telling her what we'd seen and she told us that they hadn't been able to give a complete
performance of "Don Carlo" at the May 29 matinee because Kirstin Lewis (replacing
Stoyanova for the entire run) became seriously ill an hour before curtain and was taken to
hospital. They could not get a replacement for her so they performed only the scenes in
which Elisabetta does not appear (which took 80 minutes) and then gave everyone a
refund! How strange! I couldn't find any mention of this on line just now. I believe that was
the last performance of "Don Carlo."

I was very glad to be able to see Bryan Hymel live, and although I was sorry that Ludovic
Tézier had to cancel, I was delighted with his replacement, German baritone Christoph Pohl
-- very fine singing and acting. Operabase.com shows that he mostly performs in Dresden.