Subject: Re: question about coloratura singing - other than sopranos
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 May 2017 09:59:18 -0400

There was never anything in popular music that I had any dread of until
those very forms of coloratura, melisma, etc, began to dominate it.
Showy "improv"  disfigures the standards of pop singing that seem to
have prevailed since the days of Elvis Presley.   The Beatles, so much
overrated, but harmless IMO,  who I think were accused by Sinatra of being
the worst thing that ever happened to popular music, are beginning to sound
old-fashioned in their relative avoidance of fancy vocalism

I hear no individuality, no effort to communicate, and no sincerity, left
in the performance of new songs, idiotic as most of them are.   Coloratura
may often, as you say, be an effective tool, especially when a genius like
Bach makes calculated use of it, but routine vocal display like the
interminable noodling that Handel resorts to,  bores me.

dtmk

Pearls all over the floor . . . .