Subject: Regine Crespin
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 May 2017 17:49:54 -0400

If you care, there are a number of posts from me that have been
critical of Regine Crespin, and you can/may read them in the archives.

But I will happily challenge the assertion that she was at her loudest
when she was at her worst.

I was at her first Met "Ballo", which was magnificent, top to bottom,
and her first Met Senta, which was spectacularly vocalized, even if
not as magically realized as Leonie. Her Sieglinde and Kundry in the
Old Met were beyond memorable. And they were, in every case.
loud and resonant beyond my abilityto describe.

In the New Met, she had one great triumph, the Walkure Brunnhilde,
and a number of failures, by my standards. They  continued to have
loud moments, but they only magnified the problems in the upper range,
and were not a revelation about her ability to shake the rafters. That was
her trademark on both her best and worst days.

By the way, her soft singing and pianissimi, as have been noted
by others, were among the most beautiful in her, or any, time.

Her best was as good as it gets, and her worst was far from as bad
as it gets.

Bob