Subject: Florid singing and cantors
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 May 2017 01:30:49 -0400

The great Garcia senior, friend of Rossini, knew florid singing like nobody's business, and wrote a manual with exercises in ever permutation.
Ashkenazi chant can be quite florid, and Sephardic even more so, as told to me by Nico Castel, who, along with Peerce and Tucker, was a cantor.
In order to sing the High Holy Days and keep the voice in shape, there has to be perfect placement and breath control. Stamina is the name of the game, and of course lightness....long story.
Garcia was was Rossini's first Almaviva, I believe.

Sent from my iPad