Subject: Re: question about coloratura singing - other than sopranos
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 May 2017 00:09:07 -0400

I think it was in 1943 that I heard him at the Paramount theater in NY.
Peggy Lee was also featured in a "stage show" that accompanied a
film called, I think, STAR SPANGLED RHYTHM.  I heard Sinatra again,
a year or two later, at Lewisohn Stadium, accompanied by Max Steiner
conducting the New York Philharmonic: "I want to thank the "boys in
the band", said Frank.  The conductor also performed what may have
been the first performance apart from the film, of music from GWTW.

Both times he sounded like his younger self; the more mannered style
that you seem to be referring to, developed many years later, after he had
become a film star.  All of Sinatra's singing is fully documented, and he
can never, at any stage, be mistaken for anyone but himself..

To Jon Goldberg: I bought my first 78s of Sister Rosetta in the 1940s, and
lps of Mahalia Jackson, a decade later.   No one needs to instruct me on
the quality of their music or their unique communicative power, nor can you
persuade me that any of that has emerged among the Gagas,  Biebers, or
Beyonces.

dtmk