Subject: Huge Voices
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 May 2017 14:53:15 -0400

The Champion - Regine Crespin, hands down.

Robert Merrill had an enormous sound when he chose to let
it all out, and Tito Gobbi's "un tal bacanno in chiesa" as he
entered Sant' Andrea della Valle was the loudest single phrase
I ever heard the night of the famous Met Tebaldi Corelli "Tosca"
in 1964. I had never heard him live, and I was totally unprepared
for the tsunami he unleashed.

Leonie had the most resonant and overwhelming top register of
all. We use phrases like "force of nature" to define way too many
things Her top was a unique "force of nature"! It had no equal
before or since.

Modify your settings: