Subject: Re: bohème in english - was Re: Merrill's Per me giunto
From: Isaac Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 May 2017 07:12:08 +0000

John McCormack and YES! Richard Crooks, wonderful diction.

I have mentioned this before, but it warrants reprise here, I was surprised by the fine diction of Bjoerling when singing in English, displaying just a hint of Swedish vowels, and the occasional J/Y problem well associated with Swedish, which was obvious even in his Italian, for instance in an early recording  of Rodolfo's aria where he clearly sings "ruban tutti i YoYelli."

I remember the first time I heard Richard Tucker sing  Un aura amorosa, he sang it in English "My love is a flower," I had heard Tucker's speaking voice, and to my ears, it had a strong NY sound, or I guess Brooklyn sound, yet when I heard him sing this in English, wow, such beautiful diction, every syllable clear and precise.

Regards,

Isaac Alan