Subject: Re: question about coloratura singing - other than sopranos
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 28 May 2017 22:33:01 -0400

One more from IL BARBIERE, tenor's aria "Ecco ridente in cielo". And, of
course, Rosina's "Una voce poco fa" if performed by a mezzo.

There are quite a few great contralto/mezzo coloratura arias: Urbain's
"Nobles seigneurs, salut!" in Meyerbeer's LES HUGUENOTS, Orsini's drinking
song in Donizetti's LUCREZIA BORGIA, or let your friend hear Marilyn
Horne's fireworks in the finale of "O pretre de Baal" from LE PROPHETE.

Many of the Rossini mezzo heroines... Isabella's "Cruda sorte" in
L'ITALIANA IN ALGERI, "Nacqui all'affanno,- Non più mesta" in LA
CENERENTOLA, Tancredi's "Di tanti palpiti", and so on.

I think it must be difficult for bass voices to pull out coloratura, but
there are some fine examples. Rossini's MAOMETTO II comes to mind.

Vesna