Subject: D o not read this unless you love Charlie
From: Charles Handelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 28 May 2017 18:18:46 -0400

The Nude Baritone Emperor
On the occasion of the DFD 5/2/(1925) birthday, you will now hear one of my
tiresome and truly nasty reviews of the ONLY important artist I absolutely
detest. I cannot understand how a singer  who was as artsy-fartsy as DFD
could gain such fame.
  Quasthoff adores him...but he has a rich voice,as do Prey, Goerne,
Schoeffler, and other REAL baritones. They do not fake their high notes and
sound like a tenor...they do not sing opera with absolutely no true
Italianate style (play the Macbeth aria). Yes, DFD knew  all those songs and
I am sure my total lack of understanding of Leider is an example of my total
ignorance...but I just cannot accept the over-all approach to the vocalism.

Indeed he had tremendous influence in his field, but I just cannot accept
the voice,with the exception of some Tabarro and Arabella performances,
which surely show great artistry and some beauty of tone,..but the VOICE to
me is a total disaster as a "baritone."

  Yes, I have been extremely nasty about him, but my over-all philosophy
about life in general is  something like "How do they get away with it."
That statement will earn the wrath of many,and I understand it as a lover of
many flawed singers....some of my favorites...but with DFD I just cannot
understand the reputation as a "God," where his recitals are like "church
services, as one important diva mentioned....and when a friend attempted to
turn over a cassette during  a pause at Carnegie Hall, people glared at him
as if he was a candidate for severe torture..that is the "Karajan Syndrome."

   Basta,Charlie.....Stop your constant rants...but I prefer Kurt Baum in
the Winterscheisse.....

Send all letter bombs to: Charlie Handelman,permanent resident of the Franco
Bonisoli Institute for the Mentally Incompetent. The address is:
    27-18  Drek Alle, Schwarzkopfbund, Deutschland under Alice.