Subject: Re: In the good old days
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 26 May 2017 13:29:18 -0500

From the excellent article on Clara Butt by Dennis Foreman in The Record
Collector vol. 44 no. 2 (June 1999):  She sang in a Royal College of Music
production of Orfeo et Euridice at the Lyceum Theatre in December 1892
(repeated in March 1893) (RC p. 93), and again in Orfeo at Covent Garden
under Beecham in July 1920, which was "Clara's first professional appearance
in opera" (RC p. 98).  It seems that those were her only appearances in
opera.  ". . . in 1933, a little girl called Joan Sutherland was taken by
her mother to hear Dame Clara Butt in Sydney, and she has never forgotten
the experience.  It was the biggest voice she ever heard in her life.  It
may have been Dama Clara's last appearance anywhere." (RC "Clara Butt Sings
Today" by Michael Aspinall, p. 146).