Subject: Re: Bjorling-Bergonzi, et al
From: "SUBSCRIBE OPERA-L Vince C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 26 May 2017 04:01:36 -0400

I heard Sondra Radvanovsky as Elisabetta in Don Carlo in April 2004 at
San Diego Opera.  She was always audible and in the Auto da fč scene, you
could clearly hear her voice above everything else.  It was my first and
only live Don Carlo performance and I was very unfamiliar with the music.
I was 20 at the time. I don't remember if she drowned out the tenor Sergei
Larin in the two duets.  I remember during the climax of "Tu che le vanitą",
she flooded the auditorium with sound.  I could not believe my ears.  I
remember she executed a particularly impressive messa di voce at one
point in the performance.