Subject: Anny Konetzni as Kundry
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 24 May 2017 19:14:48 -0400

Anny Konetzni as Kundry, recounting the moment when she laughed at Jesus on the cross:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXsAuPfP7j8

My observation: she doesn't sustain the B, just kind of touches it, which I find interpretively effective, like it is a laugh, not an agonized scream.

But my question is: maybe at that point, 1948, she could not sustain the B (by the time of the infamous Elektra recording, the extreme top was gone).

She was for me more of a zwischenfach singer (she sang Eboli as a soprano, well into the 1950s), but in her early days as a soprano, she sang the Trovatore and the Forza Leonoras, and also Elena in Vespri.

Mezzomaniac