Subject: Re: Question to those with the longest experience
From: Geoffrey Riggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 24 May 2017 03:11:20 -0400

It's regrettable, but somehow Mr. Winter's post that was evidently meant for
the Forza thread got posted inside this "longest experience" thread instead.
 Not sure how that happened, but it's started a derail in which Mr. Ferraro
inadvertently picked up the Forza subject from Mr. Winter and also posted
his own thoughts on Forza inside this thread too.  To get this thread back
on track, I'm going to repeat here the last on-topic post in this thread --

On Tue, 23 May 2017 10:46:06 -0500, kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This is true.
>
>I saw all of Bjoerling’s Lyric roles. In those days I always sat in the
top balcony and never
had the slightest difficulty hearing him.

>Wasn’t it Bidu Sayao who said that her ability to project made it
possible for her small
voice to be heard over the orchestra?

===============================

(G.R.) I actually know one writer and record collector who saw all the
luminaries of the '50s,
including Bjoerling, but who then raised a family and missed the '60s and
'70s almost entirely.
So this question for Mr. Youngmann is based on real experience: Please,
since you were
lucky enough to actually see Bjoerling, can you tell us if you were also
lucky enough to
actually see Bergonzi later on? If so, could you compare for us the relative
impact of the two
in the house? Also, could you compare their relative impacts in the top
register as well?

Thanks very much!

Best,

Geoffrey