Subject: Forza
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 May 2017 15:39:28 -0400

Hi, Y'all!
    The best solution to "Forza," in my humble opinion, is to perform Acts I, II, and IV of the revised version intact and complete.  Include Act III of the St. Petersburg original version intact and complete.  There might be one or two lines that could use a bit of "tweaking," that way, but certainly no more.  And you'd have the most dramatic, most unified, most easy-for-the-audience-to-follow performance possible.  I also very much like the structure of the third act in the original version, which emphasizes the integrity of the entire third act as a "unity." In essence, you have a quasi-Rossianian form, with the cavatina at the opening of the act and the cabaletta at the end, with the entire act constituting one single "bel canto number."  Finding a competent tenor who could sing such a performance at all, let alone through an entire run, is another issue, of course.

    Best,

    Dennis Ryan