Subject: Re: Question to those with the longest experience
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 May 2017 12:22:46 -0400

"I might seriously consider... cutting the inn scene to the bare bone
(retaining Don Carlo's "Son Pereda" and Leonora's few lines of prayer,
thus making sense of Leonora's "La mia orrenda storia" etc. lines in
the next scene, but dispensing with most of the rest), snipping out
the camp scene altogether (yes, and I might even find some way of
cutting out Preziosilla from the entire opera altogether or just
leaving her a comprimario), and perhaps having Guardiano and Melitone
alone at the start of the last act with nothing of the soup kitchen
left in."

Pity you weren't around back then to give Verdi the benefit of your suggestions.

"...less shocking, I feel, than leaving out the "Sleale", which is the peripeteia of the whole
drama, but which was an (outrageous) conventional discard in too many productions for too
much of the past century!"

Well, at the Met at least, the "Sleale!" duet has been included regularly since the 1952
revival.  (Apart from the 1957 performance which, as I noted, might have left "Sleale" out
because of Gino Penno, the tenor; Tucker, Corelli and Bergonzi all sang it.)  That's 65 years
now, so I think we are a bit past complaining about its omission.

Cheers -
MDW