Subject: Re: Question to those with the longest experience
From: Geoffrey Riggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 May 2017 12:04:55 -0400

On Tue, 23 May 2017 10:46:06 -0500, kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This is true.
>
>I saw all of Bjoerling’s Lyric roles. In those days I always sat in the top balcony and never
had the slightest difficulty hearing him.

>Wasn’t it Bidu Sayao who said that her ability to project made it possible for her small
voice to be heard over the orchestra?

===============================

(G.R.) I actually know one writer and record collector who saw all the luminaries of the '50s,
including Bjoerling, but who then raised a family and missed the '60s and '70s almost entirely.
So this question for Mr. Youngmann is based on real experience: Please, since you were
lucky enough to actually see Bjoerling, can you tell us if you were also lucky enough to
actually see Bergonzi later on? If so, could you compare for us the relative impact of the two
in the house? Also, could you compare their relative impacts in the top register as well?

Thanks very much!

Best,

Geoffrey

www.operacast.com