Subject: URBANARIAS Fundraiser at our home features fabulous musicians and a DC debut (5-21-17)
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 May 2017 11:37:03 -0400

As if we hadn't partied enough after the WNO Young Artist Butterfly on Friday, we hosted another event at our home on Sunday to raise money for UrbanArias. Several dozen joined for a short concert by soprano Jennifer Cherest (who actually debuted with WNO in their 2015 Hansel & Gretel as the latter) and tenor Brandon Snook, who was making a private debut here in town. Mr. Snook will be featured in UrbanArias upcoming INDEPENDENCE EVE(Music by Sidney Marquez Boquiren; Libretto by Daniel Neer http://danielneer.com/ ) when he makes his public DC debut alongside Jorell Williams in that 2 person work directed by Shaun Patrick Tubbs, who was also present to speak about the upcoming work June 3-11 at Signature Theatre in Arlington, VA).

Ms. Cherest sang "Magnolia" by Tom Cipullo/Lisel Mueller followed by one of my favorite "new" arias, "New York Lights" from A View from the Bridge by Bolcom/Weinstein/Miller when Mr. Snook blew us away with his gorgeous tenor.

I love Ricky Ian Gordon's songs and "Once I Was" is a gorgeous one for Ms. Cherest and she later finished with another Cipullo/Mueller dong "The Fugitive." Interspersed were two scenas from Independence Eve for Mr. Snook:

"Hey Buddy" and "My Mom Says" where he really sounded like a little kid and indeed had us giggling at times.

It was a very informal afternoon, and a wonderful chance to get to know some new singers as well as some new works, which is what UrbanArias is all about. R. Timothy McReynolds played our tinny upright piano with grace and never complained, and of course, there was always plenty of food and wine as it was in our home!

We are so happy to help these struggling companies with these events and there will be many more to come.

ALAN SAVADA of Washington, DC